Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Curious Case of a Commuter



I stood at the bus stop of Rabale Station headed to Sion to meet up with friends after a long time. Standing in the hot sun for a while I murmured to myself, “Am I getting late or what. I have really had it this time. My friends are going to gobble me up alive if I am late again.” The BEST fares had just been increased and it was already stretching my already cash strapped wallet, and this waiting was starting to get on my nerves too. But to my surprise I saw a BEST Express (Limited Stops) bus to Sion headed my way. I guessed I must have done something right this morning, hah?

Having entered the bus in exuberance, I found my seat easily enough and settled down for the long road ahead thanking my good luck. Soon the conductor (ticket master) started doing his rounds for tickets and I reached down my pocket to get my money. To my horror I found that I only had a 100 rupee note on me and no chutta (change) on sight, which I would like to stress, is one of the worst things that could happen to a commuter in Mumbai or for that matter in Navi Mumbai as well. Gathering my believes in divine intervention, I comforted myself by reminding myself that the commute had gone well thus far and I will surely find a way out of this tricky situation that I have found myself in.

As I started looking for a good excuse which will compel the conductor to accept my 100 bucks, I heard a commotion in the front of the bus. I puzzlingly decided to put my good listening skills to use. The conductor and a young man were squabbling over a 20 rupee note that the young gentlemen had offered to the conductor for a 5 rupee ticket. The conductor was insisting on exact change and the gentlemen kept pleading that it wasn’t a 100 rupee note and the conductor could well give him change if he so desired. My heart sank as I was the one with the 100 note and realized there is possibly no way the conductor would give into any of my excuses now.

The conductor bluntly and perhaps unjustly asked the gentlemen to get down on the next stop if he doesn’t have change. I was amazed at the hypocrisy in display and the sheer arrogance of the people today. But fortunately for the young man a Good Samaritan came to his rescue and offered him change as they were getting down at the same stop and could adjust the fare amongst themselves once they disembarked from this unwelcoming bus journey.

I took in a deep breath and steadied myself for a full-on tirade against me -- for which, I was mustering courage to fend off the best I can. I heard the conductor step closer and I could hear my heart pounding at the impending onslaught. Curiously, the footsteps ceased as the conductor seemingly pirouetted around to the front of the bus.

There a lady was poised to get down when the conductor asked her to show him the ticket. She abrasively and without a shade of ambiguity confronted the conductor and said, “I don’t have a ticket. Where were you all this time? Should I wait an eternity for you? Don’t just keep on raising the fares but do your duty as well!”

The master looked dumbfounded at this counter offensive by this lady who was clearly in the wrong. The master not ready to back away from this fallacy started to hit back, accusing the lady of looking for a free ride and siphoning off the blame on others when she is clearly up to a misdemeanour herself. The two were now embroiled in a relentless escapade of accusation and counter-accusation which was only ended when the bus halted at the lady’s stop and the master handed the ticket over to the lady -- only after he had extracted exact change from her.

I withdrew deeper into my seat as I realized my chances of reasoning with the master have been blown to smithereens. My pulse started racing to the situation at hand as I sensed the anger and frustration in the master’s eyes.

He thundered towards me like a man on a mission. I knew he was right there when I the heard the singeing words I dreaded, “ticket, ticket…”, made worse the next sentence he chose to complement it with, “Everyone, tender exact change. I don’t have a trove of chuttas here to dish out for you” My jaw dropped. I was breathing heavily and sweat started appearing from nowhere as I awaited a public embarrassed reserved for a very few morons like me.

I couldn’t muster the courage to look at him when I offered him the only note I had on me and said, “Sion.”. The impending sight of the master was too horrific a sight to even comprehend which was sure to ruin my entire year let alone my day; the verbal assault that was set to follow was sure to give my ears a beating of a lifetime. I could hear his breathing also getting harder as I sat with my head hanging low. I was calling all the divine beings I could remember during this standoff which had taken the form of a war of attrition. I awaited the pounce and the bite after the frightening roar as moments ticked by that resembled a millennia.

To my complete bewilderment I saw a ticket being flashed at my face – change included. I looked up and saw the conductor’s face calmer than I anticipated -- to my shell-shocked amazement. He repeated, “Take your ticket”. I jolted back to what had transpired, back from the horrific scenes that I had played out in my mind. I took the ticket. The conductor continued, “You don’t look too well. Go to a doctor as soon as you can.”

I was like, wow, my sheer apprehension and panic tricked the master to thinking I was unwell and he decided to pardon my infringement of sorts. This has to be divine intervention. I also knew that the poor master had had a bad day himself and it was he who was more drained than me. Maybe he just had enough of the constant haggling and repetitious arguments over change, tickets, fare hike, the crowd, the bus schedule, rash driving et cetera, et cetera. However, I had no comforting words to offer the master as I had no idea what would help. I could only imagine and envisage with empathy the plight of those who travel these long distances every day and the torrid time they have to endure. May God bless them is all I could muster at this time.

Soon, I was at Sion. I got down and headed to CinePlanet, Sion where my friends stood waiting. I reminisced of the travel I just had and the thought of all I met and what I experienced sashayed in my head like a roller-coaster ballet, especially the poor conductor and his conundrum. I prayed his days and therein the days of the people he meets only gets better. I turned to my friends who were impressed to see me on time and said, “Guys, you know what happened on my way here……”


 Source: Hubbrz.com

No comments: