Friday, April 11, 2008

Review of Yuva - A refreshing new entrant in Publication.

This piece is the my attempt of reviewing a new publication, which was recently turned into a daily by the name of 'Yuva'. The tabloid priced at a price of 1 Rs.(Indian) is easily worth every paisa.

I heard the name through a friend, Kranti, who recommend this publication. And as luck would have it, I came across the publication neat Bandra Station on my way to work that day itself. I, who have been reading Mumbai Mirror and MidDay for the past few weeks was deeply unhappy with the content of the two respective, arguably renowned publication.

The first thing that hit me was the sheer number of stories that it contained along with the right mix of graphics and pictures that gave it a complete look. Although the stories was more local than than national or international, it certainly made for a good read and was ideal for a rail commuter like me. The 45 minutes that I was reading the paper passed off in a jiffy and I still wasn't through.

My only hope is that the good start that it has made looking at the quality of work won't have to be comprised by the financial and political pressures like many of its predecessors did.

Although there a lot of positives, I would also like to point out that there is still room for improvements. The writing standard, if I can call it that without being rude can be improved, also the creative element in the articles, especially feature articles could be used more effectively to entice the more creatively inclined. But again, as a new publication it will come with time.

I would also have appreciated more sports news, again that is my personal view. I hope the paper will cover the non-traditional sports.

It is my sincere hope that the paper will carve out a niche for itself in the highly competitive print market, where the margins are really low. I also hope that I will have good things to say about the paper when I revisit and hopefully update this piece in my blog.

As for now, Kudos to the team of Yuva, we are sure a lot about them in the neat future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

ShyBuzz said...

Thanks on the suggestion guys. Will definitely consider and implement them. Your advice is always appreciated. Keep blogging and rocking!!!